8.08.2018

Ministers of a New Message


I don’t know your church or Bible background, but I can pretty much sum mine up in one word...confusing.
I have a rich heritage of family who were faithful to church, diligent studiers and vibrant preachers or song leaders. I attended Christian schools from Kindergarten - college. I’ve not been lacking in the Biblical perspective or emphasis in my education.
However, the enemy kept me confused and blinded for a very long time. It reminds me of the time I was teaching 8th grade science. A particular chapter was overwhelming to me and I ended up just reading the chapter to my students. I just couldn’t come up with a way to explain it, because I honestly didn’t understand most of it myself. After the lesson one day that week, one of my 8th grade boys came up to me and said, “That was the best lesson you’ve ever taught!” 😳 (Note to self: never spend hours preparing fun lessons again...)
There have been many times when I’ve read passages of Scripture, even “taught” them and didn’t understand what they meant. When questions arose, I’d just say what my pastors and teachers had told me, “You don’t have to understand, you just have to believe.” But in my spirit I wasn’t satisfied. I wanted to understand. And I felt ill-equipped to be a leader or teacher.
Then I read 2 Corinthians 3:6 (emphasis mine):
Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; NOT of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
I’d been trying to understand and teach a “law” that had been fulfilled and I couldn’t make sense of it. Now I knew it was because God would never equip me to teach a message that had expired!! Apparently, I’d been teaching something that produced death rather than life. And when I look back on my own experience, I can testify that I did not feel life in the messages I had heard. 
When I started investigating this “new testament” that was not of the “letter” (law) my eyes were opened to the new message (grace) Christ had come to communicate. The message that His Spirit IN ME was speaking. The message that belief produces behavior, not the other way around. 
The voice of the enemy had been loud and I had not been able to discern the voice of the Spirit for many, many years. I was confused into thinking that I could just read the passage and accept that I’d never understand. But now, the voice of the Spirit was booming and I was beginning to understand that I could actually know the “mysteries” I had wrestled with for years.
If you feel ill-equipped to teach the gospel, be assured that you are an ABLE MINISTER, with or without a theology degree. God has given YOU the ability to communicate His truth. Take some time to refresh your own understanding of the gospel, and then trust God to help you communicate this life-giving message.
Your Co-Minister,
Rebecca Monroe


No comments:

Post a Comment